Insignety, the new retail, in-store design experience launched at the show, was named as the winner of this year’s new Editors’ Choice Award – ‘Exhibitor of the Year’ – by a prestigious panel of industry magazine editors. Aptly highlighting the success of the IJL 2017 experience, which combined state-of-the-art technology dovetailed with finely executed craftsmanship across all show sectors, to deliver a new and exciting retail experience for visitors and exhibitors alike.
Sam Willoughby, Event Director, observed: “Insignety deservedly walked away with the IJL Editors’ Choice ‘Exhibitor of the Year’ Award. A perfectly polished concept delivered with the utmost professionalism, signalling a massive leap forward for jewellery retailing. An excellent reflection of what the show delivered so successfully this year. The combination of technology innovation and superb design and creative skills which, when linked together, is undoubtedly the way forward for the future success of the industry. And it was our aim to bring this to life at this year’s show through all the many new initiatives we launched at the event – which I am pleased to say, from the very positive feedback we’ve received, we have achieved!”
Insignety offers consumers the opportunity to capture and create their special piece of jewellery through new age technology and golden-age skills. Mark Bos, CEO of Insignety, explained: ‘Our core values are passion and quality. We have invested much time and enormous effort in realising this exciting retail proposition. The response at IJL was huge and although I’m not at liberty to say which will be our first door, I can say most doors are open!’
New collections from more than 500 designers and brands from 43 countries were showcased at IJL 2017, including 184 new exhibitors, international suppliers and manufacturers, plus the best of British participated alongside new show sectors and new show features. These included not only the very popular new Retail Experience and Jewellery LIVE! areas but also the revitalised seminar programme. All visibly demonstrating the importance of both the contemporary and the traditional skills.
As part of providing exhibitors with year-round support, IJL launched its one day, free to attend Summer Masterclass in June, designed to help exhibitors pre-plan their show, learn from inspiring industry leaders and get the most out of networking, PR and marketing opportunities. Feedback from attendees at the show was very positive, confirming it had definitely enhanced their show experience.
First time exhibitor Rachel Whitehead explained: “ IJL 2017 was my first ever trade show and the generous feed of knowledge and experience the organisers and press provided really helped me plan and execute my launch. The clever merchandising tips and know-how were invaluable.”
Flora Bhattachary, jewellery designer and founder of Flora Bhattachary Fine Jewellery, ex IJL KickStarter, added: “This one day Masterclass really helped me pre-plan my show approach IJL far more calmly. The bullet points of ’what to do when’ were so helpful.”
Second year exhibitor and Editors’ Choice winner for Technical Trailblazer, Susi Smither, founder and designer of The Rock Hound agreed: “I loved the Master Class! It fed me new ideas which in turn gave me extra confidence when approaching customers at the show. Also it was great getting to know the IJL family.”
Event Director, Sam Willoughby, had the final word : “Exhibiting at IJL is not just three days – it is a 365 day experience for exhibitors. We really do go the extra mile to create a first class event for the industry as a whole – exhibitors and visitors – and are incredibly grateful to our amazing line up of industry luminaries, including Stephen Webster and Shaun Leane, who helped make that possible. And also our thanks go to the industry press, consumer press, TV crews and bloggers who all came to the show and helped spread the IJL message to a vast audience. Thank you everyone and we do hope you all had a really successful show!”
And this is what some of the designers and brands had to say:
- “IJL provides us the opportunity to show our new launches to new and existing accounts. I would recommend the show to other companies as there are a variety of buyers, the London venue is easily accessible and the show gives us the chance to catch up with our retailers and see the new launches of other brands.” Philippa Glinn, Account Manager, Astley Clarke.
- “As a British brand, our presence at IJL as a UK show is important for us. I have particularly enjoyed networking with customers at this year’s show.” Benjamin Caplan, Sales Manager, Yoko London.
- “IJL is the only jewellery event of quality in the UK. The show is designed for quality customers in a quality venue. Exhibiting at IJL for forty years has been a milestone in my career. Thank you IJL!” Howard Graham, Managing Director, Ntinga.
- “IJL has provided us with great exposure to a wide range of clients. I have particularly enjoyed the Seminars – they are not only interesting but offer great insight from leading industry professionals.” Colin McGuinness, Scientist, De Beers UK.
- “IJL once again has provided an excellent showcase for the industry. It’s great to meet up with so many friends and new trade contacts. Our collections, especially Chatsworth House Style, were very well received, while our head turning Devonshire House Ball headdress was filmed for TV at the show.” Chris Sellors, managing director, C W Sellors Fine Jewellery.
- “IJL is the only major UK jewellery industry show. It has been the perfect platform for us to launch our brand into the UK and Irish market.” Raoul Sagal, UK Brand Manager, Nanis Italian Jewels.
- “IJL gives visitors an all-round event experience – and being part of the show this year has meant that we’ve connected with new and exciting customers in a fresh and vibrant setting”. Hollie Francis, Sales Manager, Henryka.
- “IJL has been amazing for us and met all our business needs and objectives, attracting a number of excellent potential customers. Compared to other events, networking has also been easier. Definitely a show to participate in and as a new exhibitor, IJL has been supportive and flexible throughout, taking our needs into consideration to help ensure we had a good show.” Aashina Seih, Marketing Co-ordinator, Cara Jewellers.
- “IJL offers the opportunity for great customer interaction and industry catch up which are vital for our business. It is an unique show as it provides the opportunity to entertain and have fun with a wide range of customers.” Tom Cornwell, Wholesale Manager, Alex Monroe.
- “Having launched Dog Fever earlier this year with great success and a huge amount of interest, IJL has offered us the perfect platform to further establish and grow the brand in the UK and Irish markets. It is perfect for networking and establishing new business relationships, as well as being perfectly positioned within the calendar for buyers to start thinking and placing orders for Christmas.” Michael Fowler, Director, Saunders Shepherd.
- “The location of IJL makes it stand out from other competitive events and it is at a good time of the year which suits our business needs. There’s a broad range of visitors with a great mix of exhibitors”. Ian Elliot, Co-Founder, Elliot Brown Watch
- “IJL is a great opportunity to show our pearl ranges at a prestigious London venue. The show attracts a broad range of important retailers and the seminar programme is excellent, providing a good opportunity for staff training.” Miranda Raw, Director, Raw Pearls.
- “IJL has given us the opportunity to meet new customers. One of our favourite parts of the show was trend spotting! IJL is a well-run show and the organisers are very helpful.” Oonagh Doyle, Sales Director, Newbridge Silverware.
- “We’ve met with existing customers in the UK, as well as a few new potential buyers. Olympia is a good location and the timing of the show is right.” Igor Zubovskij, Managing Director, Koliz Vostok.
- “IJL is a world ahead of other industry trade events currently in the UK. The show has been extremely successful for us.” Leon Rhodes, Country Manager (UK), Christina Jewellery and Obaku, Denmark.
- “IJL is an elegant show and well organised. It meets our business needs by providing a platform for networking and meeting new customers and high quality visitors who are relevant to our brand.” Nova Borg, Head of Marketing, Lumitoro.
- “We have had an excellent show – fulfilling our stock requirements and networking with brands, suppliers and peers. The IJL Diamond Club is wonderful – it’s a great place to meet and evaluate the day with colleagues and clients.” Ashley Pugh, Managing Director, W. Bruford Ltd.
- “IJL is the only show that covers every aspect of all things jewellery related! Being part of the KickStart programme has provided me with an amazing platform to promote my business. I’ve met such a breadth of buyers and suppliers from all over the world – some of whom I’ve been wanting to show my work to as well as new ones.” 2017 KickStarter and winner of the Industry Award, Alice Barnes, Designer.
- “I think IJL is more professional than other competitive events. It is the premier show for the jewellery industry. I have been so impressed by the interest from visitors and the positive feedback – and orders!” 2017 Bright Young Gem, Ishtar Liljefors, Jewellery Designer, Ishtar Liljefors Jewellery.